Monday, October 29, 2007

New U of C obstetrics chief

I recently informed the Parent Support Network listserv that The University of Chicago Hospital hired a new chief of obstetrics, Dr. Helen Kay.
I am touched by all of the passionate responses from people who are concerned about obstetrics at the University of Chicago hospital and would like to meet with the Dr. Kay.
A few ideas have come up before we set up such a meeting:
-find out Dr. Kay's stance on "natural childbirth" and midwifery.

-conduct an informal survey on the Parent Support Network listserv (the Student Parent listserv manager would NOT send out my original posting, though I think that demographic is important to include). I think this would be helpful so we are armed with statistics & information rather than gossip.
The survey would ask simple questions such as:
Have you given birth in the last 5 years? If so where?
Are you currently pregnant? If so, where do you plan on giving birth?
If you live in the neighborhood and did NOT chose the University of Chicago, please tell why?
If the University of Chicago Hospital supported natural childbirth and/or housed a nurse/midwife practice would you consider it?

-set up a small meeting with Dr. Kay.

-set up a town-meeting with the Dr. Kay.

Four years ago, I was involved in the activism opposing the closing of the practice. It didn't work. If anyone has experience with this kind of thing, I would welcome all kinds of input.

My six-year-old was delivered by the midwives at the U of C. My four-year-old was born at home)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home