Friday, July 07, 2006

Teen attacks

Liz Bakwin, a member of the Parent Support Network, posted this neighborhood watch warning to the groups' e-mail communication:
"Wanted to let everyone know that a 7th grader was assaulted in an unprovoked attack by a group of similarly-aged and older children at 4pm between Ray School and Bixler Playlot on Wednesday. He was physically hurt -- scratches, etc. -- but is OK. As far as I know, the police haven't caught the perpetrators, although there was quite a brouhaha on Kenwood between 55th and 56th last night, involving some teenage boys being taken away by UC police. That's as much as I know."
I have heard of other instances where teens attack teens here in the neighborhood. Last spring students at Kenwood High School were attacking adults.
Often these are Black on White attacks.
They all suck!
This one in particular is scary because the location is considered one of the most popular and safest for children and families in all of Hyde Park. I have spent and continue to spend many hours in this playlot. Hyde Park is an island of wealth and racial variety on the Southside. How wonderful that is. I feel fortunate that I and my children have friends of all colors. But often the tension is unbearable.
Lately the police composite sketches have been crowding Hyde Park's bulletin boards.
This attack is a sad commentary on our state today. Not only do I mourn for the victim but wonder about who's watching and caring for the attackers - kids themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home