Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Muslims save the day!

By eating the leftover food I ordered for an event in my job at the University of Chicago.
Somehow I thought 80 people were going to show up for a scientific conference that really only 60 did. Then the caterer brought food for 100.
Oy!
First I was fending off the students that stopped by to snag a dinner.
As the second session of lectures got underway, I realized we were loaded trays and trays of leftover Mediterranean food I saw these dark men and ladies with head scarves going downstairs to a some kind of meeting or event.
There seemed to be about 50.
After that event ended (a lengthy lecture on the history of the Middle East) I (desperately) invited the Muslims to help polish this stuff off.
Thank goodness for them.
Two huge trays went to a soup kitchen too.
Oops!
OK, I don’t think I have any Muslim friends. There’s plenty of tension in this world between the East and West. So I thought, "Oh, this is an opportunity to build bridges." First I was thinking the biologist would share their information with the Muslims and visa versa. But the biologists had all taken off.
So I just observed the Muslims. They were cute and respectful, kind of flirty too. They threw in their Arabicisms (kind of like I throw in Yiddishisms).
“Are you going to graduate this year?” one friend asked another.
“Inshalla,” the student replied.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home