Wednesday, August 02, 2006

HEAT WAVE highs and lows

Temperatures are reaching up to 100 (with the heat index.) Air conditioners are cranking day and night.
My two boys and I escaped the heat in the afternoon at the Blackstone Branch public library here in Hyde Park. They had a super-lame craft activity. I was considering going to Washington Park pool, a public pool, and even alerted the Parent Support Network to get some buddies there. But I quickly cancelled that plan when I was alerted to the fact that the filters weren’t working there. My informant was Bill Gerstein who we saw at the Noodles Etc. restaurant yesterday at lunch. He’s a neighborhood know-it-all. His family used to own Mr. G’s supermarket that’s now the Co-op on 53rd Street. He’s the principal at one of the South Shore High Schools – a very reliable source.
In these blazing hot days Bill and Hyde Park lap swimmer Susan Rosenberg inform me that Washington Park pool is “nasty, murky and warm.”
C’mon park district! THIS IS THE HEAT WAVE! Get your act together and help us get some relief here.
After a frustrating and sweaty hot evening with my two boys I biked over to the 57th Street beach. People were coming and going, hanging out, trying to catch a breeze. Strangely enough, Lake Michigan was ice cold. I could not go in beyond my knees. In fact I had to get out - although a lot of other people were cooling off in the lake.
There must be an explanation for the freezing temps in the middle of the summer.
“Water,” I want to tell the lake, “share your cool with the air.
“Air!” I will shout to the sky, “share your heat with the lake.”
A break will come though. Tomorrow is supposed to be cooler. And rain is expected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home