Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Konichiwa to Kindergarten at Murray Language Academy!

Getting my almost-five-year-old son Benjamin into Kindergarten has been very stressful.
But yesterday I arrived at a real achievement.
I got Benjamin into the close-by public, magnet school Murray Language Academy just by walking in and informing them of our address change.
Voila!
Another boy had withdrawn and there was space for Benjamin.
He had been number 23 on the waiting list of that school and number 7 on the waiting list at the Ray School, the only other worthwhile public school for white kids (it seems) in this neighborhood. Many may see that remark as racist but the Ray school is the most diverse school racially in the neighborhood. White families who live outside of the Ray district clamor to get into that school. Blacks are the majority in every other surrounding public school. And those schools seem to be rough.
Plus, Ray has a lot to offer students.
I do have quite a bit of skepticism about Ray school though because a friend had a mediocre to bad experience in kindergarten. In my opinion all the class sizes are too big in the Chicago Public Schools with 28-30 children in kindergarten.
We recently moved and so are no longer in the Bret Harte school district.
Last year, Benjamin went to Bret Harte for the free, public, state-funded pre-Kindergarten program after attending Akiba-Schechter Jewish Day School’s nursery school from 8:30am-12pm. We were happy with Bret Harte. Ms. Russell, Benjamin’s teacher is excellent. She’s a golden apple nominee. We really connected with the other children and parents in that program. Benjamin learned a lot too.
But we were pretty tired of taking our two boys to two different places all the time: Akiba, Bret Harte, 2-year-old Judah’s other day-care. Our goal is for both boys to attend Akiba in the fall. There is a great buzz about Akiba’s Kindergarten with the low student/teacher ratios. There are 15 students and 2 teachers in the Kindergarten class. But the tuition is an astronomical $10,000!
We’ve applied for financial aid and STILL haven’t heard back from them. BOOHOO! We’re getting annoyed and frustrated here.
My husband and I had a whole discussion last night about the importance of a Jewish education. The cost is going to be quite high for a Jewish education. That’s going to hurt. Children at Akiba know Hebrew. They are comfortable with it. They know prayers and Bible. At the Murray Language Academy children choose between daily French, Spanish and Japanese instruction. Spanish was filled, I signed Benjamin up for Japanese.
Hey! He loves sticky rice and seaweed. So why not?!
Stay tuned….

3 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger Roja said...

Hey there HPMama!
I like your blog. It's a mixture of parenting experiences, Hyde Park information, and you! Keep up the good work!

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Grace Chan said...

Hi there!

I have a child entering K at Murray too, also taking Japanese. After having one child at K at Ray (who transferred to Murray at 1st) and two children at K at Murray previous to child #4 entering Murray, I'd say Murray is a better school academically than Ray. My first child's K teacher was fabulous but no longer teachers K there now (she teaches a different grade.) Murray parents are also very active in school activities in general, which is also what makes it, in my opinion, the best elementary school in Hyde Park. I hope you'll like it!

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Erielle said...

Hello HydeParkMama, I found your blog by trying to do some research on the Bret Harte preschool program. I'm wondering if you can tell me a little bit more about it, if you have the time. My email is eriellebakkum @ gmail.com. I would really appreciate it! I hear they have some openings, but since it's summer, I don't have anyway to meet the teacher or observe a class.
Thanks so much.
Erielle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home