Tuesday, November 07, 2006

New Parent Resource Center at the University of Chicago

Kudos to the University of Chicago and the Women’s Board for opening the new Parent Resource Center on the rim of the campus.
It seems to be a first step for the university to actually do something for families in the “university community.” I’ve heard of other universities offering subsidized childcare etcetera for students/postdocs/staff/faculty. There’s no such thing here for us. We have to work with what’s out there. And believe me it’s pricey on our “stipends.” The U of C has started some kind of subsidies for those connected to the institution at area day cares.
At the Parent Resource Center they’re offering a drop-in playroom, a nursing space, activities for children, a baby clothing exchange and a babysitting exchange. I didn't see listings for childcare, school, camps & programs for children.
Here’s the website for a list of activities coming out of the Office of Graduate Affairs: http://grad-affairs.uchicago.edu/parents/
It seems like the childcare situation here is a total hodge-podge for those who are serious about pursuing studies or work outside the home and having a family.
I haven’t necessarily been in this position but when we needed to hire a part-time nanny/babysitter with a friend it was a snap because I’ve figured out how to navigate the U of C’s Marketplace webpage. At that point we found a wonderful Czech woman (a wife of a graduate student) who cared for our son and his little friends. But every year or even every quarter the Parent Support Network (PSN) e-mail gets a desperate message from a student or staff member here begging for childcare for their baby/toddler/child. I think the university should provide a subsidized childcare center. It would definitely be a draw for employees.
The Parent Resource Center seems like it's only for the "university community"
Personally, though, I like the ambiance at the PSN better where the organizers are the parents, not a childless-career minded administrator in a suit, who were kind of curt to me.
I feel so peripheral as someone who works at the U of C part-time in a job that’s not my “career” (it’s just paying some bills) and as a wife of a post-doc. I didn’t feel particularly welcome.
Nonetheless, reviewers have said the toys are cleaner & newer.
I suppose I shall give some of the programs a try with my three and five-year-old sons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home